How To Boost Your Self-Esteem
Self-esteem is how we feel about ourselves and is our overall sense of worth and value. People with high self-esteem generally feel good about themselves and their abilities which allows them to be more confident and assertive throughout their day. Whereas, people with low self-esteem may often feel insecure and inadequate which can cause them to feel shy and withdrawn in social situations.
Low self-esteem can therefore have a negative impact on our potential, relationships and life as a whole. It can lead to anxiety, depression and social isolation which makes it far more difficult to achieve our goals and feel at peace.
There are many things we can do to boost our self-esteem. Here are just a few tips:
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Try to make a list of your strengths and focus on developing them further.
- Set realistic goals. When you achieve your goals it will boost your self-esteem. Start with small goals and gradually work your way up to larger ones. You may also like to set yourself short, medium and longterm goals to cover things from completing small daily tasks, to monthly weight loss goals or future aspirations to run a marathon or save up for a new car or home.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Taking care of your physical health will also greatly help to improve your mental health. If you take 5mins out of your day to go for a walk in nature, prepare one unprocessed meal, switch a fizzy drink for a glass of water or head to bed 20mins earlier than usual you’ll soon find yourself making more health-conscious choices as you feel more energetic and motivated throughout your day.
- Spend time with positive people. It’s no surprise that the people we spend the most time with can have a big impact on our self-esteem. Try to surround yourself with positive people who make you feel good about yourself; smile, laugh, sing, dance and feel enthusiastic about the positive energy of others around you.
- Challenge negative thoughts. We all have negative thoughts about ourselves, others and life in general, but when you find yourself having negative thoughts about yourself you can challenge them. Ask yourself if they are really true and then focus on the positive aspects of yourself.
- Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with the same kindness and compassion that you would treat a friend. Forgive yourself for making mistakes and understand that we are all human and learn from getting things wrong first before we are ultimately able to get them right.
Boosting your self-esteem takes time and effort, but it is well worth it. When you have high self-esteem, you will feel better about yourself and your life. You will be more confident and assertive and you will be better able to achieve your goals.
Here are some additional tips to try throughout your day to boost your self-esteem:
- Practice gratitude. Take some time each day to think about and list the things that you are grateful for. This can help you to focus on the positive aspects of your life. Perhaps it’s your family, job, home, health or pets.
- Do something you enjoy. Make time for activities that you enjoy and that make you feel good. This could be anything from reading to spending time in nature or playing a sport.
- Help others. Helping others can make you feel good about yourself and give you a sense of purpose. Why not volunteer your time at a local soup kitchen or animal shelter, or donate to a charity that you truly care about.
- Seek professional help. If you are struggling with low self-esteem then talking to a therapist can help. A therapist can help you identify the root of your low self-esteem and develop strategies to improve it.
If you feel that you are suffering from low self-esteem then please know that you are not alone, we all have negative aspects within our lives and obstacles in our path, but this can be overcome with positive thinking and steps which will change your life and provide you with such peace and freedom found in building confidence.
Perhaps you have some tips for boosting self-esteem that have worked for you? Please feel free to share them in the comments box below.